Monday, February 6, 2012

"NO DUMPING"


Andrew Cole
2/6/12
Thought Paper 2


The photo that I have selected to write about happens to be my favorite of the bunch. It’s a small sign embedded on the sides of the roads stating “No Dumping”. The sign has various indications and reasoning’s for being placed where it is.
            The sign that I chose is placed near a drain on the side of the road. The message is simple and clear saying “Only Rain Down The Drain” which I like a lot. I think that they made it very simple and rhyme so it would catch on and people would feel worse about dumping trash there. The sign is intended for all those people who consider doing so or have done so in the past. The sign creates a sense of place partly because it has a slight hint of order to it, which creates the feeling of collectiveness and cleanliness. I feel like I would feel this even no matter what area or part of San Fran I was in. Back in the day I don’t think they had anything like this especially not 100 years ago. I think that people would just throw there trash away all over especially because they probably did not have these intricate drainage systems. And they definitely not use as vibrant colors for their signs if they were to have them.
            I think that this signs specific purpose is simple and very clear, keeping a slight order and a sense of place throughout. The crab also adds a little fun illustration, which everyone loves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment